Heather joined the firm in 1994 and became a qualified patent attorney in 1996. With a biotech background, Heather represents a full range of clients, from start-ups to multinational companies. Her practice primarily involves patent drafting and prosecution, patent infringement, validity and FTO opinions and litigation, as well as client counselling in IP strategic planning and portfolio management with an emphasis on biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. She also advises clients regarding some China-specific IP issues such as utilization of Chinese genetic resources, inventor remuneration and technology import & export registration/approval.
Before joining NTD, Heather worked as a R & D scientist in the Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Beijing Institute of Nutritional Resources.
Education and Training:
- M.S., Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, majored in Genetics, 1991;
- B.S., Fudan University, majored in Biology, 1988;
- IP trainings in the United States and Japan.
Genetic engineering, protein engineering, vaccine and antibody; gene therapy; animal health, pharmaceuticals, food, agrochemicals, new plant variety protection, etc.
- All-China Patent Attorneys Association (ACPAA)
- AIPPI (Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle), Vice President of AIPPI China Group
- LES (Licensing Executives Society)
- G.D. SEARLE LTD. vs a Chinese pharmaceutical company, patent invalidation
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company vs a Chinese pesticide manufacturer, patent infringement
- Wyeth vs a strawman, patent invalidation
- National Leading IP Professionals by the SIPO, 2014
- IAM The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, 2015, 2016 and 2017
Selected Seminars & Events:
- Moderator and Panelist, China Pharma IP Summit 2017, December, 2017
- Speaker, Boston Bar Association and USPTO joint seminar, April, 2017
- Moderator and Panelist, China Pharma IP Summit 2016, November, 2016
- Speaker, UIA Union Internationale des Avocats Seminar, September, 2016
- Speaker, New York IP Law Association & New Jersey IP Law Association Seminar, February, 2016
- Speaker, Annual Meeting of All-China Patent Attorneys Association, May, 2015
- Speaker, AIPPI China-U.S. Intellectual Property Symposium, November, 2013
- Speake, The 3rd China (Taizhou) International Pharma, Biotech & Chemical Intellectual Property Forum, May, 2012
- Speaker, Taiwan TIPA International Symposium, April, 2012
- Speaker, Seminar of German Chemists Society, March, 2011
- Speaker, The 2nd Beijing International Pharmaceutical and Chemical Intellectual Property Forum, August, 2009
- Handbook of Best Practices in Intellectual Property Management（Enterprise Management Publishing House, 2011), author, editor
- Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Patents: Law and Practice (Aspen Publishers, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, 2008, USA), contributor of China chapter
- Discussion on Patentability of Method of Diagnosis and Treatment of Disease (Chinese Inventions and Patents, July, 2004), author